From A Year With Blessed James Alberione,
Compiled by J. Maurus
The Apostolate of Suffering
We can consider suffering in three ways:
- as mortification to prevent sin
- as sanctification to do good
- as supplication that the apostolate may be fruitful and efficacious
What Strikes Me Most Today
The Meaning of the Year of St. Paul Logo
- The chain represents the imprisonment of Paul in Rome.
- The sword is symbolic of his martyrdom. As a Roman citizen, Paul could not be crucified nor stoned, the two most common means of execution, but rather was accorded the "honor" of beheading by sword.
- The book represents his epistles.
- The cross is emblematic of Christ, of whom Paul said, "We preach Christ crucified" (1 Corinthians 1:23).
- The tongue of flame refers to the Holy Spirit.
- 2008-2009 are the dates of the Pauline year.
- 29 VI represents June 29, the ending day of the Pauline celebration and the Feast of St. Peter and St. Paul.